Why would anyone need a course on Livestock Guardian Dogs? “After all,” someone might think, “I’ve had dogs all my life. This will be pretty much like the other dogs I’ve had, only a livestock guardian dog will protect my other animals.” Unless corrected, these words, spoken in uninformed bliss, are a pretty good indicator of coming failure. You see, the livestock guardian dog is about as different from typical pet dogs, as is possible, within the species.
Livestock Guardian Dogs are Very Different from Typical Pet Breeds.
A Course on Livestock Guardian Dogs Will Probably Save You Time, Pain and Even A Ruined Dog.
What you can expect to learn from this course:
- Be able to identify the reasons a person would want or need a livestock guardian dog.
- Tell where livestock guardian dogs come from and some of their history.
- Identify the major livestock guardian dog breeds and know their characteristics.
- To identify what a livestock guardian dog is, and what it isn’t.
- Identify when obtaining a livestock guardian dog would not be a wise decision.
- To identify which dog breeds do not do a good job of guarding your livestock and why.
- To recognize if a cross between a livestock guardian dog and another breed are likely to work well as a livestock guardian dog.
- Identify the qualities of a good livestock guardian dog breeder.
- Accurately identify how many livestock guardian dogs are needed for a given situation.
- To accurately identify the qualities of a dog that is trainable versus the qualities of a dog that is no longer trainable .
- How to properly introduce a puppy, or new dog to livestock.
- To recognize a hotspot, it’s causes and the treatment needed .
- Hear a veterinary perspective regarding the pros and cons of a raw food diet for livestock guardian dogs.
- Identify important items regarding Parvo Virus and other vaccine related issues.
- Know some common health issues of livestock guardian dogs and how they need to be handled from a veterinarian’s perspective.
- Identify typical things that working livestock guardian dogs do.
Once we learned how to work with these dogs, we couldn’t imagine our homestead without them. Why not take this course and see if they could be a fit for your own needs?
- Lectures 68
- Quizzes 2
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 28
- Assessments Yes
Course Introduction 1
Why a Livestock Guardian dog? 5
History of Livestock Guardian dogs 5
Upon completion of the module, learners will be able to tell where livestock guardian dogs come from and some of their history with an 80% or better.
Breeds of dogs that fall into the category of Livestock Guardian dogs. 6
What makes a Livestock Guardian dog a Livestock Guardian dog? What a Livestock Guardian dog is, and what it isn't 4
When you shouldn't get a Livestock Guardian Dog 3
Why just any old pound puppy won't do. Can't they all be trained? 6
Will a cross work if the second dog is not a Livestock Guardian dog (LGD)? 3
Selecting a breeder 4
Will one dog do, or how many? 4
How old is too old to train for livestock? 5
How to train the dog...and what not to do. 14
Veterinary corner 4
Stories of working LGDs 5
Course Evaluation 1
This course evaluation is anonymous and helps us to improve courses so that we better meet your needs. Thank you for taking the time to fill it out.