This course familiarizes you with the ins and outs of acquiring, raising, training, maintaining and utilizing livestock guardian dogs. It provides you with the information that you need to make wise decisions regarding livestock guardian dogs on the farm. All dog lovers would find this course interesting and helpful.
What you can expect to learn from this course:
- Identify the reasons a person would want or need a livestock guardian dog.
- Tell where livestock guardian dogs come from and some of their history.
- Identify the major livestock guardian dog breeds and know their characteristics.
- Identify what a livestock guardian dog is, and what it isn’t.
- Identify when obtaining a livestock guardian dog would not be a wise decision.
- Identify which dog breeds do not do a good job of guarding your livestock and why.
- Identify if a cross between a livestock guardian dog and another breed are likely to work well as a livestock guardian dog.
- Identify the qualities of a good livestock guardian dog breeder.
- Accurately identify how many livestock guardian dogs are needed in a given situation.
- Accurately identify the qualities of a dog that is trainable versus the qualities of a dog that is no longer trainable .
- Identify how to properly introduce a puppy, or new dog to livestock.
- Identify a hotspot, it’s causes and the treatment needed .
- Identify a veterinary perspective regarding the pros and cons of a raw food diet for livestock guardian dogs.
- Identify important items regarding Parvo Virus and other vaccine related issues.
- Identify common health issues of livestock guardian dogs and how they need to be handled from a veterinarian’s perspective.
- Identify typical things that working livestock guardian dogs do.
- Lectures 68
- Quizzes 2
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 18
- Assessments Yes
Course Introduction 1
Why a Livestock Guardian dog? 4
History of Livestock Guardian dogs 5
Upon completion of the module, learners will be able to tell where livestock guardian dogs come from and some of their history with an 80% or better.
Breeds of dogs that fall into the category of Livestock Guardian dogs. 6
What makes a Livestock Guardian dog a Livestock Guardian dog? What a Livestock Guardian dog is, and what it isn't 4
When you shouldn't get a Livestock Guardian Dog 3
Why just any old pound puppy won't do. Can't they all be trained? 6
Will a cross work if the second dog is not a Livestock Guardian dog (LGD)? 3
Selecting a breeder 4
Will one dog do, or how many? 4
How old is too old to train for livestock? 5
How to train the dog...and what not to do. 14
Veterinary corner 4
Stories of working LGDs 5
Course Evaluation 1
This course evaluation is anonymous and helps us to improve courses so that we better meet your needs. Thank you for taking the time to fill it out.